You, the self-made artist
Note: although we mostly talk of "the artist" in the singular form, this is equally valid to any music group.
Most of the time, music has been a co-creation, the result of the work of several people. These are not only the composer and the performer, but also the producer, recorder, manager, etc. Today you can play all of these parts yourself or many of them, without the need to study each of those skillsets for many years. This opens a wonderful world of possibilities: you can become the artist that you really want to be.
If you are on this journey yourself or with a group of friends, it is nonetheless important to spend some time on each of the different processes that are required to become a successful Do-It-Yourself-Artist (DIY or the self-made artist).
How to benefit from the Help Center
This Help Center is organized so that it can best help you become a self-made artist. We believe that to create a music career that you really want for yourself, you need to spend some time and thoughts on:
- what kind of artist you want to be (Category: Become the artist),
- what kind of music you want to create (Category: Create your music),
- how you want to share your music and what you expect in return (Category: Share your music),
- how to protect your music and the basics of copyright laws (Category: Protect your music).
Each part is equally important. You might spend more time on one than on the other. You might delegate one part or another. For example, if you work with a producer, you are delegating this task. This gives you more time to concentrate on the parts that interest you more. But also without a producer, you can record your music at a professional level with the right tools. You will need to learn how to use that tool, but the tool will do a lot of the job for you. And this at levels of professionalism that are constantly being improved.
Some steps might be easier for you than others. But all of these four steps are important and each receives a category in this Help Center. Read a bit more from those, where you know the least of or that you have not thought about that much. Use the Help Center to learn and get inspired on those topics that will help you advance in your music career.
Each category is further divided into three sections:
- Inspirations around the topic
- They can help you to reflect upon which artist you want to be, the music that you want to create, and what is important to you when sharing your music (e.g. getting popularity or earning money or finding like-minded artists).
- Tutorials and assistance in how to manage your music on Jamendo.
- Learn how to open your account, upload, and sell your music. Find answers to your questions on payments and moderation.
- Common troubles that artists have on Jamendo.
- If something is not working as it should, you will find help here.